Omega's parent company, La Generale Watch Co, was founded in 1848 in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. There, Louis Brandt assembled watches from parts supplied by local craftsmen. He traveled through Europe to sell the watches. After Louis Brandt died in 1866, his sons Louis-Paul and Cesar decided to have the manufacturing of parts and the assembly of watches done in one place. This was done under the brand name 'Omega'. It led to a watch factory that employed nine hundred people in 1903, the year that both brothers died. The company, now one of the largest watch manufacturers in Switzerland, was continued as 'Omega Watch Co' by four young descendants.
In the late 1930s and early 1940s, the company was active in the mass production of pocket watches for soldiers of the Third Reich. Various models for different divisions.